Looking for the perfect guide to budget wedding planning? Not all of us can drop $90,000 on a wedding. The great news is, you don’t need to. By doing your research and resisting the urge to be roped into unnecessary costs, you’d be surprised how much you can save. Wedding coordinators are experts in absorbing cash for ‘premium packages’ that “take the pressure off, letting you soak in every everlasting detail.” Your bank account might say otherwise.
How Do You Do a Cheap Wedding?
Here are a few tricks you can follow to cut down the costs of your wedding:
- Be tighter with your guest list
- Ask for funding instead of wedding gifts
- Design your own invitations
- Borrow sound equipment from friends and family
- Contact your local university for live musicians
- Buy dresses on sale
- Don’t spend so much on wedding rings!
- Have a simpler honeymoon
How Much Does an Inexpensive Wedding Cost?
A typical wedding in Australia costs upwards of $36,000. If you do your own research and plan carefully, you can reduce your overall costs substantially. The key contributors to the total cost that you need to look out for are:
- Venue selection
- Food & beverage packages
- Dresses and suits
- Flowers and decorations
What is the Cheapest Month for a Wedding?
The time of your wedding can influence the final cost by up to 30%. Wedding venues know they can charge higher prices for weddings when they’re in their seasonal peaks. June, July and September are said to be the most expensive months for a wedding as it is typically when the weather is at an optimal temperature and humidity. The chapter months are January, March and November.
There are also cheaper times of the day for your ceremonies. If you throw your wedding ceremony at 8-9 am followed by brunch, you can save a fortune. Or if you host your ceremony at 2 pm, it’s an appropriate time for a cake reception. 4 pm is also a recommended time because a cocktail party can be thrown immediately afterwards.
What is a Reasonable Price for Wedding Photography?
On average, you can expect to pay around $750 an hour for an average wedding photography package. There are photographers who offer full-day coverage which drastically reduces this number, but you shouldn’t aim to pay more than $2,100 for a 4-hour photo shoot.
But, there are good photographers out there that don’t charge a fortune. They’re rare, but they’re out there. The best way to find a good photographer for a cheaper price is to search on Instagram for a photographer you like the style of who is new to the industry or trying to get themselves established. A lot of the time, they just need photographs to add to their portfolio so they’ll be more than happy to settle for a cheaper price. It’s mutually beneficial because when a photographer has an extensive and beautiful portfolio, they’re more likely to find work and they’ll be able to charge more for their services.
How Do I Find an Inexpensive Photographer?
- Keep your budget realistic. If you’re looking for a photographer who will only cost you $600, then the plain answer is that you won’t find one. For a four hour shoot, anything below $2,000 is a gold mine.
- Reach out to friends and family. The chances are, someone in your family is a photographer or knows a photographer. They likely won’t do it for free, but depending on how closely connected you are you’re sure to land a cheaper price.
- Have your wedding during a quieter season. As mentioned, January, March, April and November seem to be the cheapest months for a wedding.
Where Do I Go From Here?
It’s time to start doing your own research. Although blowing a lot of money on a wedding is convenient and time-saving, you can save a lot of money by spending the time to carefully plan out your wedding. Reach out to friends and family for advice and try to figure out how many of the associated costs you can take care of yourself. By designing your own invitations, buying your dress on sale and not blowing $5,000 on a wedding ring, you’ll be able to save a fortune on your special day.